Can't update fuel-core in fuelup

I used fuelup show command to check all components version and after recent sway update cos I keep getting error when run test with following message

and for fuel-core component it returns me this value

 forc : 0.38.0+nightly.20230517.29b1d0c47b
    - forc-client
      - forc-deploy : 0.38.0+nightly.20230517.29b1d0c47b
      - forc-run : 0.38.0+nightly.20230517.29b1d0c47b
    - forc-doc : 0.38.0+nightly.20230517.29b1d0c47b
    - forc-explore : 0.28.1+nightly.20230517.4bb7392eed
    - forc-fmt : 0.38.0+nightly.20230517.29b1d0c47b
    - forc-index - not found
    - forc-lsp : 0.38.0+nightly.20230517.29b1d0c47b
    - forc-tx - not found
    - forc-wallet : 0.2.2+nightly.20230517.29732c4b1d
  fuel-core : Error getting version string
  fuel-indexer - not found

Tried to add it manually with this command fuelup component add fuel-core@0.18.0 , it didn’t help also.

1 Like

I have updated fuelup using those commands, but error is still present, please help

 ^^/D/hello_world >>> fuelup install latest                                                                                                   13:26:30 
error: Found argument 'install' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

    fuelup <SUBCOMMAND>

For more information try --help
^^/D/hello_world >>> fuelup toolchain install latest                                                                                     (2) 13:30:15 

Downloading: forc forc-explore forc-index forc-wallet fuel-core fuel-indexer 

Adding component forc v0.40.1 to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
Installed forc v0.40.1 for toolchain 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'

Adding component forc-explore v0.28.1 to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
Installed forc-explore v0.28.1 for toolchain 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'

Adding component forc-index v0.16.0 to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
Installed forc-index v0.16.0 for toolchain 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'

Adding component forc-wallet v0.2.2 to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
Installed forc-wallet v0.2.2 for toolchain 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'

Adding component fuel-core v0.18.1 to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
Installed fuel-core v0.18.1 for toolchain 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'

Adding component fuel-indexer v0.16.0 to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
Installed fuel-indexer v0.16.0 for toolchain 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'

- forc 0.40.1
- forc-explore 0.28.1
- forc-index 0.16.0
- forc-wallet 0.2.2
- fuel-core 0.18.1
- fuel-indexer 0.16.0

The Fuel toolchain is installed and up to date
^^/D/hello_world >>> fuelup default latest                                                                                                   13:30:21 
default toolchain set to 'latest-aarch64-apple-darwin'
^^/D/hello_world >>> fuelup self update                                                                                                      13:30:28 
Fetching binary from
Downloading component fuelup without verifying checksum
Unpacking and moving fuelup to /var/folders/nn/wz8b8rjx0790c5nncjsr6nqw0000gn/T/.tmpA5bw6K
Moving /var/folders/nn/wz8b8rjx0790c5nncjsr6nqw0000gn/T/.tmpA5bw6K/fuelup to /Users/lidia/.fuelup/bin/fuelup
^^/D/hello_world >>> fuelup show                                                                                                             13:30:37 
Default host: aarch64-apple-darwin
fuelup home: /Users/lidia/.fuelup

installed toolchains
latest-aarch64-apple-darwin (default)

active toolchain
latest-aarch64-apple-darwin (default)
  forc : 0.40.1
    - forc-client
      - forc-deploy : 0.40.1
      - forc-run : 0.40.1
    - forc-doc : 0.40.1
    - forc-explore : 0.28.1
    - forc-fmt : 0.40.1
    - forc-index : 0.16.0
    - forc-lsp : 0.40.1
    - forc-tx : 0.40.1
    - forc-wallet : 0.2.2
  fuel-core : Error getting version string
  fuel-indexer : Error getting version string

fuels versions
forc : 0.42


First warning you got seems suspicious (found more than one fuel-core ..) so let’s try to remove non-fuelup fuel-core binary in your path first. It is highly possible that you might have installed it via cargo, or built it from scratch so I would suggest taking a look at ~/.cargo/bin/ and try to see if you have a fuel-core binary in that folder, delete it if there is one.

My fresh installation succeeds to install fuel-core with fuelup latest. So it is highly possible that you have another fuel-core installation hanging around in your path. I would suggest trying a clean installation and keep on using a single installation method. This is pretty important as this is an inherent problem with modern operating systems.

Alternative solution/suggestion

Each “conventional” package manager takes up a place in your PATH order, and it is not possible to deterministically re-create environments such that they do not coincide with each other. So using multiple installation methods requires users to be aware of which binary takes the presedence etc. Easiest approach there to stick with only a single installation method.

Another solution would be Nix, which is an open effort that tries to solve package management problem in a declarative manner. That makes sure that you got the developer environment exactly as intended. Fuel also maintains a fuel.nix flake if you want to give it a try. Bear in mind that it is not completely ready to be used with m1/m2 macs, which would lead long build times. We are working on it to get m1/m2 binaries ready to be used. The documentation book is getting ready atm but you can read the quick start from here.